I usually don’t eat too much fattening stuff, but in it’s place I will consume lots of carbs. I love carbs, bread, potatoes, pasta, whatever. Today at work I was sitting there thinking about what I was going to eat for dinner. I do this a lot, because my job is data entry, which isn’t the most exciting thing in the world. So I decided I wanted to make a Boca burger and fries, but I had no buns. I can’t spend anymore money until my next credit card statement…so buying buns was out. I figured they would be easy enough to make, which was kind of true. The process was kind of odd so if you want to try it out, it might vary a bit from my recipe.
1 cup soy milk
2 T canola oil
2 T sugar
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
2-3 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees for ten minutes and then turn off. This is to get the oven just a tad bit warm for a future step.
2. Dissolve the yeast in warm water, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Combine milk, oil, sugar and yeast. Mix well, add salt and gradually add the flour until the dough isn’t too sticky. Make sure not to add too much flour, or else your buns will be too dense.
4. Knead the dough for 5 minutes and then place in a bowl, cover with a towel and let it rise for about 20 minutes.
5. Divide into 8 equal pieces (mine only made 7, but I like big buns…) and form them into the shape you want and place about 2 inches apart.
6. Cover with a towel and place in the warm oven for about 20 minutes. I left my oven open just a bit, so it didn’t get too warm.
7. Remove the buns and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. I sprayed a little oil on the top and put sesame seeds on, but that’s optional.
8. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel a large potato, and cut in half lengthwise. Then cut the halves in half lengthwise again (confusing huh?) It doesn’t really matter how you cut it, just as long as you get little wedges.
3. Spray with oil. I have this little thing called a Misto, which is really cool. You fill it with oil and then it sprays a little amount out. I then sprinkle them with a local spice mix. It’s basically just garlic, chili peppers, onions and parsley.
4. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, remove and flip over and bake for another 15 minutes.
I was too lazy to make my own burger, Boca never fails me.