I really wanted something sweet, but not something that would be too fattening. I’ve been wanting to experiment with an oat bar recipe, so I started with the one on Fat Free Vegan. She made hers with blueberrys, but we had a frozen bag of mixed berries that we need to use up. They aren’t too sweet, but they cured my sweet tooth.
2 cups berries (I use blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cranberry juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with juice to form a smooth mixture
3 cups oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces unsweetened applesauce
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons (3/8 cup) water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray an 8×8 pan with oil.
2. Combine berries, sugar and juice in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, then add vanilla, and cornstarch. Stir until it thickens, then remove from heat.
3. Put 1.5 cups of oats in a blender and grind into a fine powder. Pour into a mixing bowl and add remaining oats, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Stir, then add sugar, water, apple sauce and vanilla and stir.
4. Divide the batter in half, spread one half into the pan and smooth to cover the bottom. Spoon all of the berry mix over the batter. Then cover with the rest of the batter.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, let cool and then cut into squares.
I’m trying to post more regularly, sorry for the lapse. I’ve got some recipes I want to try out anyways.